Here is a classic recipe for making cheese balls. We had these at Christmas for many years, and they are always popular.
This recipe is the traditional version, so feel free to change it up a bit with different types of cheese, etc.
Let us know in the comments section what makes your cheese balls special if you make these!
- 8 ounces of cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons of onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 a cup of sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- Walnuts or pecans, finely chopped (enough to coat the outside of the cheese ball)
- Mix softened cream cheese and all the rest of the ingredients (except for the walnuts) until they are blended well.
- Spread chopped walnuts on a large plate.
- Shape cheese mixture into a ball and roll in the chopped walnuts.
- Place cheese ball in a tightly closed container and let stand in refrigerator at least 8 hours. Letting it stand longer allows the flavors to blend even more and improves the taste.